Re: Fw: [IPk] Bolusing during sleep

On Tue, 21 Aug 2001, you wrote:
> Hi Di, Elizabeth
> This remote control, would it be possible to bolus in error with this, or a
> parent do this by mistake with the child in another room? When my Husband
> had a car with a remote locking device he was forever unlocking the car by
> accident and kept discovering that the car had been left open all night
> several times.  It use to work through several walls.

I don't think that's likely, because (a) you need to hold the remote quite
close to the pump (about a foot maximum) and (b) you need to hold down the act
button till it beeps, then press the bolus button, then the act button, then
the act button again after you hear the beeps to actually deliver the insulin.
Quite hard to do all that by mistake!

 > About sleepwalking It is
Danni my 13 year old who sleep walks.  She doesn't > give Sasha injections or I
would have to make sure I didn't leave the > insulin out!  She does do strange
things in the night and if she falls > asleep during the day after a sleep over
she nearly always sleepwalks.  Its > very odd.

I don't think you need to worry about the syringe being left out then.

>  > Sometimes I am on
auto-pilot in the mornings and I don't wake up properly > until I have a least
3 cups of coffee, I am always worried that one of > theses days I will give
Sasha 12 units of Actrapid instead of the Mixtard 30 > that she has in the
morning.  Terry usually give the morning shot and I > usually give the Actrapid
and Insulatard in the evening.  I have all of them > in distinctly different
cases, but I still picked up the Actrapid the other > day instead of the
Mixtard when Terry was away. I didnt give it to  her > though! >

Would it help keeping them in different places? If you only use the Actrapid in
teh evening perhaps you could keep it, say, in a box or in a different location
(in the kitchen rather than upstairs, say).
I used to put my Insulatard pen on my pillow if I went out at night, so that if
I came in having had a bit to drink, or just tired, I would (a) remember to give
the shot and (b) not pick up the wrong pen, as I would see the insulin as I got
into bed. Then I would put it on the bedside table ready for the morning, and
move it back again after I had done the shot. It helped me also to remember if
I had given the shot or not.