Re: [IPk] Cider (was Drink and bloods)

In message <email @ redacted>,
Kentish, Julette <email @ redacted> writes
>Cider - similar cho values - perhaps slightly different alcohol contents..
>Julette Kentish
>Research Dietitian
I'll put your ignorance down to not being of our culture, Julette (big
grin). Cider is a drink which appears to vary enormously in CHO content
- even between 'dry' ciders, and particularly between 'vintage' ciders.
The GEM book's apparently accurate '7.3' for vintage ciders is, I think,
covering as great a variance as treating 'bread' as a single product.
The diet books are all about 20 years behind the times, as they don't
even mention 'white' ciders (gods, not that I'd ever drink them ...
except there was a variety of K which came in a turquoise bottle, and
tasted just like Juicy-fruit chewing gum ... amazing stuff!) That was
before I discovered the oak-casked and organics ... I like to think my
tastes have matured!

I will ask the dietician to test Lambrusco Rosso, too (which the
ignorant would probably call a sweet red wine!!!).  I treat it as 10g
per 100ml - and before anyone goes 'eurgh! how can you drink anything so
sweet' - that is less sweet than grape juice, and I cut it with fizzy

Best wishes to all,

Pat Reynolds
   (T. Pratchett)