[IPk] Drink and Bloods

According to my Collins book Lager is 1.5g/100ml (8.52/pint
if I've converted it right)

However saying that,as I've mentioned before I need to take
more insulin than suggested by the book for dry white wine (a
lot more) so it may be that 1. the book is wrong or 2.
alcohol effect on BGM varies with individuals.  I would bolus
more insulin.

I also disagree about the diabetes management section that
you must always eat/reduce insulin when you drink.  I was
told this before but for me it really is not true.  White
wine raises my BGM as will red wine and spirits (but it takes
more of them).  Even completely plastered (not a frequent
occurence now but more common when I was a student) they
never went low.  However it is obviously a benefit for
diabetics and non-diabetics alike to eat when they drink in
order to avoid getting drunk.  My blood sugars will fall as a
result of taking alcohol in the evening at around 11:00 am
the following day.  My diabetes nurse tells me that this fact
has recently been supported in a trial (my kind of trial!).
For me the danger of going low in the evening/night would
only be as a result of drinking earlier in the day.  I guess
you just need to know what the risks are for you as everyone
is different.

Beverley Smith
Principal Development Geologist
SNS Team Leader