[IPk] Re:Obsessive

I am sorry that you were happier being "bad" but do you
really need to be that good?  Testing often and making
adjustments is vital but apart from that is there much to
stop you?  I am sure I would be a dieticians nightmare
(haven't seen one for 24yrs).  I eat what I want and when I
want.  I would love to tell you it was all low fat and high
fibre but it isn't. Curry and cake being last night's evening
meal - a case in point!  I also love to drink wine (and do
more than I should - half a bottle last night).  So long as I
balance what I eat (and when) with my insulin dosage it stops
me doing nothing.  Injecting in public is a tricky issue.
When I had my pen if I was out with friends I would generally
inject into my leg under the table (through my jeans if not
wearing a skirt).  Not because I was embarrassed but I didn't
want to peturb anyone.  I did once have a needle-phobic faint
on me when I younger!  I certainly don't think people should
have to scuttle off to the toilet.  When out with my husband
I always did it quite openly at the table.

I don't really resent being diabetic.  I would love not to
have it but that's not quite the same thing.  In a funny way
it has made me the person I am.  None of my sisters have DM
and have all remained at home.  I have been to university,
travelled the world, caved, abseiled, driven across desserts
etc  Most of which I am sure I have done because people have
said to me "You can't do that if you're diabetic"  Anyway
when it does get me down I indulge myself with a doughnut and
two very large glasses (goldfish bowls) of wine.  Just like a
normal person.

Beverley Smith
Principal Development Geologist
SNS Team Leader