[IPk] DAFNE and tanning

I am gob-smacked that people are no longer taught to vary
their insulin dosage with their food.  When I was first
diagnosed (24 yrs ago) and on 2 injections a day I had to eat
a set amount of CHO for meals at set times and had to CHO
count (10g CHO = 1 line and I could have 6 lines for dinner
etc).  This changed when I got my pen (12 yrs ago?) and I was
encouraged to vary my dosages. This meant that no longer was
I trying to eat a chocolate bar unnoticed in lectures because
my lunch was due halfway through a lecture.  I had read that
CHO counting was now frowned upon but I didn't realise it
meant this.  I didn't exactly CHO count with my pen.  I just
knew how much insulin (or rather clicks) I required for
different food (12 years of experience).  Going on the pump
meant I had to start again becaue the amount of insulin that
I require for those same foods is now less and I now CHO

I cannot believe that people are not taught to vary their
dosage as soon as they are diagnosed.  We seem to have moved
backwards with diabetes management.  People must feel they
will never have a normal life again.  How depressing!

 - On a more trivial note, has anyone experienced my tanning
problem with the invisible adhesive residue from previous
infusion sites resulting in nice white (untanned) oblongs on
their abdomens after sunbathing?  Perhaps I need stronger
soap and a scrubbing brush.

Beverley Smith
Principal Development Geologist
SNS Team Leader