[IPk] Insulin Pumpers Fight Cancer *Update*

Hello Everyone

I am just writing to let everyone know where the Insulin Pumpers Team
stands on the United Devices "THINK" program for cancer research.

Here's our current Stats:

Out of almost 17,000 teams on the research project we are at:

# 399 for total Members
# 329 for total results returned
# 336 for total CPU time  (currently at 5 years, 303 days, 13 hours, 7
Minutes, and 42 seconds)

For those of you that are new to the this or have not seen one of the
messages on the Cancer research program here is a little info on the
program and its potential future.

The "THINK" program is sponsored by Intel, Oxford, United Devices as well
as several others.  THINK is a drug discovery software program. The program
appraises each of hundreds of millions of molecules to see if they are
likely to interact with a target protein. THINK calculates and studies the
many possible shapes, or conformers, the molecule might adopt interacting
with the protein. This process is called virtual screening of the molecules.

While companies in the past have used super computers to do these
calculations there is no super computer in the world today that can match
the power and speed that has been accomplished by using a network of home
computers and that is where we all come in.

Participants in the Intel-United Devices Cancer Research Project are sent a
unit of molecules over the Internet. Their PC will analyze the molecules
using drug-design software called THINK. The THINK software analyzes the
molecular data by creating a three-dimensional model and changing its shape
(or conformation) to attempt to dock it into a protein site. When a
conformation docks successfully and triggers an interaction with the
protein, it registers as a "hit". These hits are what this research hinges
on. Any one hit may be the one that will ultimately lead to a cure. All
hits are recorded, ranked as to strength, and filed for the next stage of
the project.

Here is a news clipping which has my hopes up for us:

The leukemia drug-optimization program is the first to be offered by Intel.
Many more programs will be developed for research on diseases from
Parkinson's to diabetes.

If you would like to Join the Insulin-Pumpers Team please go here:

http://www.geocities.com/tizwit/cancer.htm   This site has some
instructions on how to join our team as well as links to more info and our
team site.

Here is a link directly to our team page.

http://members.ud.com/home.htm  Here is a link directly to the main Page of
the UD/ THINK site.

If you have any Questions please feel free to write to me privately please.

Brian Carter
email @ redacted
ICQ # 27217438
http://members.home.net/a-pumper/  *NEW*