Re: [IPk] NICE

>Katharine, who has found that the last six months of life with a pump has
>been the equivalent, in terms of quality, of quite a few years of life
>without it......

Yep - me too, Katharine. The pump companies cover themselves by saying that
pumps are not for everyone, but I reckon that anyone who can drive a car
can use a pump. They require similar levels of skill. And are equally
dangerous if misused. Most people will invest quite a lot of money learning
how to drive a car, and even more money buying and running one. Yet they
won't spend that money learning how to run their diabetes - despite the
extra years of life the improved control may give them.

Anyone been following this DAFNE program? Stands for Dosage Adjustment For
Normal Eating. UK med pros are now examining whether it is practical to
encourage and train people on injections to fiddle with their insulin doses
each day so they can eat what they want, and still keep good control. Hey -
this forms the basis of pump therapy, but we're talking injections here
since it's cheaper. I've got mixed feelings about this, since I reckon that
without the consistency of an accurately controlled basal rate that you get
with a pump, you cannot match insulin to food with any precision. If anyone
here managed to do that on injections, I'd love to know how you did it...

Diabetes UK have an interesting article on DAFNE at

mailto:email @ redacted