RE: [IPk] hormones and basal rates

On Tue, 22 Aug 2000, you wrote:
>>Oh, I have plenty of fluctuations too and I don't always know what causes
>>them! I stray about as far from the "recommended" diabetic lifestyle as is
>>possible!  I tend to test and correct too, and try not to worry! But when
>>you have low Bgs for a week, you begin to realise that something is going
>>on, and since it happens most months, I am presuming it's hormonal.
>Excuse me for being a man, but I do have a wife :-)

We'll let you off :-)

>Do you think this is connected in any way with the phenomenon in pregnancy
>where a woman's "normal range" for her bg becomes extremely low - ie
>becomes what would outside pregancy be called hypo?

Sounds likely. After all, many non-diabetic women also experience this
every month. Apparently, anyway.

 >What I'm getting at is do you actually feel hypo when your bg
is low during >this phase in the menstrual cycle?

Yes, but it's quite possible that I'm not aware of it as much as I would be
at other times. For example, I didn't notice I was low until I hit 1.5
yesterday, whereas normally I would notice it much earlier. However, the
level at which I have hypo symptoms can vary a lot, so I wouldn't read too
much into that.

That's an interesting thought though.