RE: [IPk] hormones and basal rates

Hi Di
I have to admire any diabetic who can claim to know what causes each
fluctuation in bg's.  Myself, I'm too undisciplined and have too many
lifestyle variations (timing, eating, exercise and stress) from hour to
hour, day to day, month to month to be able to attribute it to any one
factor.  I tend to test often and correct as need be.

To be sure, I do know that my bg has a tendency to drop dramatically the day
before my period starts (the doctors tell me that "most" women find the
reverse is true).  But as I said, I'm not disciplined enough to be able to
state categorically that this happens every single month.
I'm pleased to say that my basal is fairly constant (only two rates during
the 24 hours - 0.3 and 0.4).  If any fluctuations occur, I tend to leave the
basal alone (unless I'm planning on working outside then I'll drop it to 50%
for the duration) and work on either topping up with food or bolusing to
correct.

Did REALLY well on Saturday.  Like you, had a morning bg of 5 or so.  Had
normal bolus, normal breakfast (with the pump and Humulog, that is currently
porridge and 2 tablespoons - yes you read that right! - of brown sugar; and
the bg does not rise out of range for the next 3 hours :-) ) and went out to
dig holes.  Within the hour, was down to 1.6.  Decided this was not possible
so retested.  This time it was 1.8.  Decided I was not feeling tired out by
the unaccustomed exercise but was fairly low.  Treated the hypo and thought
I'd do the savvy thing and reduce the basal from 0.4 to 0.2 for an hour and
a half.  But, being used to bolusing around 2-3 units for a meal, and being
the bright spark that I am (not!), I dialled up 2.0 units!!!!  Needless to
say, until I discovered my stuff up and for some time after, I was
struggling to keep upright.  I don't recommend this to anyone.  Just as well
I learn from my mistakes.

Sorry - this doesn't really answer your question does it.  The answer is
probably yes but as with any hiccups I cope by testing and correcting as
need be.

Annie