Re: [IPk] carb counting

At this point I have to come clean about my drinking habits (blush).
I don't stick to the 'good' low-CHO stuff (dry wines, spirits, beer and
dry cider).  I don't drink beer at all.

My current problem is with Lambrusco Rosso (if Julette is a good
Australian, and has been brought up entirely on their very nice Shiraz,
she won't understand why this is an embarrassing admission!).  Lambrusco
Rosso is a red wine, although some would dispute the 'wine'.  It has 4%
alcohol, and chilled nearly to freezing, it is just wonderful.  It
isn't a decent Australian shiraz, but neither is grape juice (and,
unlike grape juice, Lambrusco Rosso isn't sickly, and is fizzy).

Also, at the end of 'special' meals, I usually don't want a desert, and
while sometimes this is a single malt or a grappa, sometimes it is a
drambui or a myrtillo.  Yes, I know they've got sugar in and are Bad
drinks.  But, remember, I'm not having the Death by Chocolate or Creme
Brulee - this is drink-as-dessert.

The drink-at-the-end-of-a-meal isn't so much a problem, given that the
meal will almost certainly have had a high fat content (when I indulge,
I indulge!) and as a result I get much better bgs for the next day.  The
Lambrusco is a problem, because I drink this at home, with normal meals.

I may be better off pouring a half-measure of vodka into grape juice,
and topping it up with fizzy water, but I fear it wouldn't taste as good
(this appears to be what the Canadians do to produce cider, except they
don't use real fruit juice).

Best wishes to all

(who is still hoping to do lots of finger-sticking to work out what half
a bottle of Lambrusco Rosso does to her body, with the benefit of not
having fitfully occurring Monotard to screw up the results).

In message <email @ redacted>,
Kentish, Julette <email @ redacted> writes
>       Dear Pat, I would never count the carbs in alcoholic drinks,
>simply because alcohol itself can make your BGL drop even the next day.
>Unless you have exactly the same alcohol, and same activity, same meal
>and you know exactly how it affects you, I would never recommend someone
>bolus. I have had people say even seasonal variation in one class of
>wine can affect them differently.
>       I have some carbohydrate amounts on alcoholic drinks already but
>people have found the above far more relevant. I would probably
>recommend giving a correction bolus at lunch the next day (unless of
>course your BGL are super high)...
>       Jules :)
>> But it's better than nothing!  (I still want them to put the CHO on
>> alcoholic drinks).
>> Pat Reynolds
>       [Julette Kentish]
>Julette Kentish
>Diabetes Research Dietitian
>Royal Bournemouth Hospital
>Castle Lane East - Bournemouth DORSET BH7 7DW
>ph: 01202 704929
>email @ redacted

Pat Reynolds
   (T. Pratchett)