RE: [IPk] carb counting

I don't think it is old fashioned advice. What works for you is great
because you know exactly how much to alter your insulin by how it
affects you.  You are THEREFORE acting on experience which I think is
important and essential - rather than blanket guides which we know don't
suit everyone.

As a general rule, I would still recommend give insulin for alcohol. If
you know how it affects you (which I said before and obviously you do
John) I probably should have added - and as a safe guide shouldn't give
the same insulin per CHO ratio as carbohydrate in an another meal.

And I do believe you can get better control by frequent testing and
using quick acting insulin (ICT or pumping) - which is what our
intensive and pump patients have been finding. Without frequent testing
you would probably have a poor idea about your BGL insulin dose
requirements etc.. BUT there are many other factors involved in
achieving good control. Some of them we all don't know about yet, and
some are simply unpredictable.

Steadfastly, Jules : )

Julette Kentish
Diabetes Research Dietitian
Royal Bournemouth Hospital
Castle Lane East - Bournemouth DORSET BH7 7DW
ph: 01202 704929
email @ redacted

Drink Type	                             General Carbohydrate Value
per 100ml
Beer -bitter, draught, keg	2.3g
Beer - larger	1.5g
Stout	4.2g
Strong ale	6.1g
Cider - dry	2.6g
Cider - sweet	4.3g
Cider - vintage	7.3g
Red wine	0.3g
Rose wine	2.5g
White wine - dry	0.6g
White wine - sweet	5.9g
Champagne (sparkling wine)	1.4g
Port	12g
Sherry -dry	1.4g
Sherry - sweet	6.9g
40% Spirits 	N/A
ABOVE TABLE AS DETERMINED BY Bournemouth Diabetes & Endocrine Centre
2000. Use is permitted on request/acknowledgement. Details: 01202
704929, Dietetics.