RE: [IPk] carb counting

>	Dear Pat, I would never count the carbs in alcoholic drinks,
>simply because alcohol itself can make your BGL drop even the next day.
>Unless you have exactly the same alcohol, and same activity, same meal
>and you know exactly how it affects you, I would never recommend someone

Julette - I think saying "forget the carbs in alcohol" is rather old
fashioned. It predates the idea that you can get tight control by
intelligently using fast acting insulins like Humalog and frequently

I'm not saying that you should bolus as normal for carbs in alcohol. Far
from it. But it is important to work out for yourself how alcohol affects
your bg in the following 12 hours - or even longer. And to use this
information properly, you still have to know how much carbohydrate you've
consumed. In fact, it becomes even more important to know the nutritional
content of that bottle or glass.

I'm not a heavy drinker, but I do drink regularly. It's part of our diet
here. Bottle of wine (between 2) with dinner, perhaps 2 or 3 times a week.
Or a bottle of beer with my lunch. I don't bolus for the dry red and white
wines that I like. But I do bolus for the Pils beers. I also enjoy whisky,
and I find in moderation that doesn't affect my bg.

>I have had people say even seasonal variation in one class of
>wine can affect them differently.

That doesn't surprise me - but since the manufactures (or vinters or
brewers...) already have to tell us the alcohol content, which varies from
season to season, or brew to brew, why can they not tell us the
carbohydrate content? Would it spoil their elegant labels perhaps? ;-)

mailto:email @ redacted