RE: [IPk] carb counting

I am getting a list together of good carbohydrate material/books etc.
One f the cheapest and easiest with scales I have seen is: Collins Gem
Calorie counter (avail WH Smith for 4-ish) as it lists carbohydrate
values of common food. The only problem with it is it lists per 100g so
you really need scales to use it. Most of the other books are american
which are OK for major foods. Watch this space for a UK version of basic
carbohydrate counting book with food you eat. Could you email me
privately to let me know of any
difficulty you have with common food/eating out foods?
Plus with regard to labels... I feel 99% of the time they are correct. I
know legally they are meant to be what they say they are. It is
important to know how much the food weighs/serve size etc.. and check
this against the label. Does it read per 100g/mls, or per serve. What
you classify a serve is, may be totally different to what the
label/manufacturer says. The only exception I have for this was a
sandwich at a conference which said 45g. It was made of 2 pieces of
bread and a thin spread of hoummus. In all my years of training, I would
be surprised if it equalled any more than 35g.

Hope that helps....

Jules :)

Julette Kentish
Diabetes Research Dietitian
Royal Bournemouth Hospital
Castle Lane East - Bournemouth DORSET BH7 7DW
ph: 01202 704929
email @ redacted
www.b-dec.com