Re: [IPk] When am I going to start feel confident?

>    Hi,   Well, I've now been about 8 weeks on the pump and I am still
>lacking the confidence to 1) play with my basal rates (they are still at
>the  levels first set for me) and 2) not panic every time I change the
>infusion  set/insulin cartridge/batteries.   I know that I need to get to
>grips with it, but keep  panicking!  My blood sugars improved dramatically
>when I started on the  pump, but seem to have gone haywire the last 2
>weeks.  I'm tending to run  quite high 10-14 on average, and also swinging
>into hypo's.  I have had 2  today in the last 6 hours.  I beginning to
>think is it all worth it.   Any support would be very welcome.    Sorry if
>this sounds very negative,    Shaz

Hi Shaz -

I think learning to use your pump is like learning to drive a car: some
take to it quickly, others need a lot of driving lessons, but still become
good drivers at the end of it all!

A book I have, the Insulin Pump Therapy Book, says that it can take up to 6
months before you really feel comfortable and can use your pump to its full

Have you got a good clinical team helping you adjust your basal rates? At
this stage you should probably be in touch with them quite a lot. Your
initial basal rates were really just a guess, and your body's need for
insulin tends to change quite a lot in the first few months, so you need to
work closely with your clinic.

Good luck - and less us know how it goes.

Best wishes -

mailto:email @ redacted