[IPk] When am I going to start feel confident?

Well, I've now been about 8 weeks on the pump and I am still lacking the confidence to 1) play with my basal rates (they are still at the levels first set for me) and 2) not panic every time I change the infusion set/insulin cartridge/batteries.
I know that I need to get to grips with it, but keep panicking!  My blood sugars improved dramatically when I started on the pump, but seem to have gone haywire the last 2 weeks.  I'm tending to run quite high 10-14 on average, and also swinging into hypo's.  I have had 2 today in the last 6 hours.  I beginning to think is it all worth it.  Any support would be very welcome.
Sorry if this sounds very negative,