[IPk] metal detectors

Having just read about successful attempts at walking with the pump through
metal detectors, I'd just like to relay my own  recent experiences.

1) Scene: Gatwick airport May 2000, first time out with pump, departure
controls chukkabloc with passengers. Pump clipped to belt, as always when
travelling, so no need to take trousers down in case anything happens. Walk
through detector, no problem, but - hey presto! - get challenged by keen
7ft member of security staff  of  the "I'm the biz" sort, the little black
box hasn't escaped his Sherlock Holmes eyesight and by golly he's in no
mood for joking.

Security staff barks at me, don't understand a word, politely ask him to
repeat, at which point I discern a howling growl sounding more or less

and he points his finger at the pump."It's an insulin pump" I reply. Take
off the pump, show him the words "insulin pump" on the back, reservoir etc.

"xcusemesir,neve'eardofit" followed by a "hozitwork?hozitwork?Showmehozitworks"

To my amazement he was quite content when I pressed "sel"  and showed him
my last bolus. His expression changed, his language became less canine and
more intelligible, and then I clearly heard "Thank you very much sir, sorry
to keep you. Have a nice journey". Well I'll be ...!

2) Scene: airport  in Grece, return flight. Walk through detector, alarm
goes off vigorously. Get stopped by customs police who speak little else
but Greek. Empty pockets, walk through detector again, goes off again.
Well, err, it must be the pump then. Try to explain but communication
scarce. No doctor's note to describe my gimmick, staff's gestures make it
clear they're intending to search me and their fingers pointed at the pump
suggest they want me to take it off. Rats what's the word for doctor in
Greek? Don't know, but hey ... yes, I'll  mention the name of the founding
father of medicine himself, good ol' Hippocrates, of glorious  Greek
lineage, that might just work ... Hippocrates! Hippocrates! Hippocrates!
And you, keep yer bloody hands away from my pump ... By golly  ....
Something's happening ... Err, well,  they're probably going to arrest me
now ...  But no, look!  It  actually *worked*! They do have a doctor in the
airport, there he is, and he speaks French! *And* he understands what the
pump is!!! All solved ... phoowee ... even  get treated to a generous shot
of Ouzo before boarding. (no effect on bg btw)

3) Scene: Rome airport, July 2000, genteel policewoman at security control
politely asks me to "take off the mobile phone" from my belt before walking
through detector. "It's an insulin pump, I'm afraid I can't take it off".
"Oh, I'm so sorry, I thought it was a phone but I guess I should have
asked. It doesn't look like the one my daughter wears, I thought there was
only one pump  model on the market ..."

And so the stories go. The lessons for me were 1)  to get a note from my
consultant explaining about the pump; 2) It's best to tuck the pump out of
sight (but in an easily reachable place) while travelling; and  3)
"Hippocrates" is as good a word as any for "doctor" in Greek.