From: Moira Harrison <email @ redacted>
To: email @ redacted <email @ redacted>
Date: 16 August 1999 22:06
Subject: Re: [IPk] to pump or not to pump

>> I haven't been active in our local group because I always got the
>> impression that it wasn't somewhere I'd fit in. But since I've only
>> ever spoken to the coordinator (Dorothy Cartwright) I'm just being
>> judgemental. I really don't have the time right now for much, but I can
give you her contact details if you want. She is
>> pretty active on the BDA front from what I gather. I have no idea if I
>> will still be in Manchester by February - in fact I may not even be
>> still in the UK - but if I am I might well be interested in the
>> Blackpool conference. Please keep me informed of your plans.
>> Di
>I am going to cheat and try and answer all the various questions, requests
etc. in this one reply. Di, I know Dorothy
>Cartwright very well as she is sort of my boss in a voluntary kind of way.
She is chairman of the Voluntary Groups Committee
>which is composed of all the area-coordinators like me. I will give her a
ring and see if she will throw her hat in with me
>about organising something for the conference in Blackpool.
>I think it would be great if Distronic and Mini Med had stalls at the
conference and got involved in a pane discussion and I
>will contact both John and Morag about taking this further once I have
sounded out the program committee for the conference.
>On a more personal pumpers note I am struggling a bit at the moment. I seem
to have trouble finding a site that is
>comfortable and two times out of three I can feel the needle sticking in to
me and it is quite niggly and uncomfortable. I
>assumed being well padded that this would not happen but perhaps I actually
need a longer needle being on the plumpscious
>side ? I cannot go on changing sets every other day as this will get
prohibitively expensive. Would people actually keep a
>Rapid in for more than two days or is it only the Tender that you can keep
in for three ? I am also extremely frustrated
>that despite my best efforts my blood sugars can still go up for no obvious
reason. I am still wrestling with the idea of
>going over to Humalog but had a terrible experience with an allergy to
Ultratard years ago that I am scared ridgid to change
>insulins. I am also worried that if the pump doesn't work out for me that I
am doomed to crap control on MDI and I don't
>think I can face that ! I hate hypos but I also don't want to have really
high bgs and end up with my retinopathy worsening.
>Help, I need reassurance or something. I may also be suffering from
Phdstudentitis wich is of course a serious condition !
>Four years of studying and experimenting and now endless days in front of
the computer which my rotten my eyes are not happy