Re: [IPk] to pump or not to pump

In message <email @ redacted>, Diana Maynard
<email @ redacted> writes
>I have to add though (OK, playing with fire again here) that I prefer
>to learn through my own trial and error. If someone tells me something
>I have to test it for myself in any case.
>sense. The nitty gritty stuff I had to figure out for myself,
>regardless of what anyone told me. But that's just me. I play with
>fire. I experiment. I have to know WHY and WHAT IF. But I have to do
>it myself. I doubt I would have benefited much from training. But I
>realise that most people aren't like me (thank goodness!).
Di, you have cheered me up!  I was just beginning to think that I
wouldn't become a pumper, because I am tone deaf and don't know my times
tables - but I am just like you - I have to try things out.

Perhaps John's right when he says it's this attitude which has lead you
to do your PhD, because I am about to start a part-time MPhil.

With best wishes (grumpy wishes, because I had a trigger finger release
last Thursday, and the blighter hurts)
Pat Reynolds
   (T. Pratchett)