Re: [IPk] What they don't tell you

I had a look at my Bernstein last night (I've completely forgotten the
name of the book but he's the low-carb guy).
I dont' want to start anything about low-carbing here - suffice it to
say I know a lot of peole for whom it works - I tried it and it didn't
really work for me.
But whatever you think about low-carbing, I think he is well worth the
read for some good info.

Since he could be described as a "control freak", I wondered what he
had to say about pumps (he's American and a type I, also a practising
endo - oh, and the book was written in 1997).
There was a tiny paragraph on pumps which basically gave the
advantages and disadvantages.
Can't remember word for word, but it ran something like:
Advantages:
ability to get up late at weekends
you don't need to take shots every day

Disadvantages:
the usual long list of things like having to test more often, risk of
DKA, being attached to a pump all the time, running out of insulin,
and a few bizarre ones, complicated to use, unreliable etc. etc.

I have to say I was quite surprised he gave them such a negative
view. I guess you have to know a bit about Bernstein and his methods
to know where i'm coming from, but I thought it was very interesting.

Di