Re: [IPk] September 25th

>Which brings me to a most unusual co-incidence - the TS has something
>around 600 members, of which seven are known to me to be type 1s (the
>stats say that one or two would be expected)  I have two theories which
>explain why the Tolkien-loving population is more likely to be diabetic
>(or vice versa).  First, as type 1s, we get harder hit by illnesses, and
>therefore tend to spend more time reading books, so, are more likely to
>come across Tolkien.  Second (and this is frightening!), if you are a
>diabetic, and unintelligent and/or illiterate, you ain't going to
>survive.  Since Tolkien readers are demonstrably literate and arguably
>intelligent, they are a population more likely to be diabetic.  (The
>second theory is more likely to be true, as two of the seven became
>diabetic _after_ joining the Society).

Hmmm... well I first read the Lord of the Rings when I was 8 (pre-diabetes)
and finished it but didn't have a clue what was going on. I then read it
again at 17 (with diabetes) and thought it the greatest piece of literature
I'd ever read. I then re-read it again at 30, and thought it a dreadful
piece of shallow pathetic nonsense, with cardboard charaters and
predictable plots. And I assure you I've not become boring in my old age
(creak). Ah well. Each to his own.

A third possibility... people with type 1 diabetes long to escape into a
fantasy world where all evils and trials are eventually conquered. Hence
they are more likely to be attracted to Tolkein's works than the population
at large...

But probably all 3 reasons in conjunction.

Just as curious, when I arrived at Cambridge University in 1984, in my year
at my college there were 300 students. 3 of us had type 1 diabetes. Similar
stats to the TS. Coincidence? Perhaps not. Diabetes can make you more
introverted and bookish. So you're likely to be better academically. It
also makes you face challenges head on, so you're more likely to try and
get into Cambridge. And if you get it pre-adolescence, it does affect your
character. So we were all likely to be driven subconsciously to choose the
same college.

But curiouser is that one guy lived in the room below me. I knew him quite
well. But we never once mentioned the dreaded D-word. I only knew he had
diabetes via a mutual friend. That was how angry and secretive I felt about
this wretched diabetes thing.

mailto:email @ redacted