[IPk] September 25th

In message <l0313030cb3cfcc8dd316@[]>, John Neale
<email @ redacted> writes
>> John
>> I think it sucks big style that the BDA have thrown carb counting out the
>> window. I have argued endlessly with their dietician, Norma McGough, who is a
>> lovely person but needs to spend a week or two as a diabetic. How can you
>> possibly get your blood sugars right if you don't know how much carb you are
>> eating ? Very frustrating.
>Moira - a number of us (mainly through the diabetes-support mailing list)
>are meeting up in Oxford on Saturday 25 September at the BDA conference. Do
>you fancy joining us? I feel we could usefully bash some heads together
>quite violently...

I would be very pleased if I could meet up with some pump users in
Oxford on the 25th.  Not that I'll be going there for the BDA conference
- the 24th/26th is a Tolkien Society meeting, so I'll be in the city.

Which brings me to a most unusual co-incidence - the TS has something
around 600 members, of which seven are known to me to be type 1s (the
stats say that one or two would be expected)  I have two theories which
explain why the Tolkien-loving population is more likely to be diabetic
(or vice versa).  First, as type 1s, we get harder hit by illnesses, and
therefore tend to spend more time reading books, so, are more likely to
come across Tolkien.  Second (and this is frightening!), if you are a
diabetic, and unintelligent and/or illiterate, you ain't going to
survive.  Since Tolkien readers are demonstrably literate and arguably
intelligent, they are a population more likely to be diabetic.  (The
second theory is more likely to be true, as two of the seven became
diabetic _after_ joining the Society).  There is a smial (sub-group) of
the society for diabetics, called Beornings (who, like the BDA, offer
support to new diabetics, but unlike the BDA, is a broad church -we have
no-sugar-not-evers, and lets-find-out-the-carb-content-of-every-mead-on-

Best wishes to all,

Pat Reynolds
   (T. Pratchett)