Re: [IPk] Carb Book

In message <l03130301b3cf4b305e07@[]>, John Neale
<email @ redacted> writes
>Interestingly (and frustratingly) the BDA do not advocate carb counting any
>more. It's been scrubbed off the board. "The old-fashioned way". The
>motivation for this curious stance seems to be that in the real dirty old
>world people don't carb count even if you tell them to. So doctors tell you
>to eat regular, and eat healthy, and everyone pats themselves on the back
>and goes home happy and fulfilled, until the complications start.

There has just (like, in the last few weeks) been announced the results
of a study at (?Glasgow) which showed that matching grams to units
works, no matter how many grams you eat!  (The truth we've known for

The two other things which they didn't test for, and are rarely
mentioned, are the effect of other calories (I get the best humalog-to-
CHO absorption match with only 30% or so of calories from CHO!), and the
effect of starting bg (with a bg of 4, I need a third less insulin for
the same CHO as I do with a bg of 8, and with a bg of 15, a third more.
(NB that's to get the _same_ bg reading, 4, 8 or 15, after 5 hours, not
to get it down to 4 after 5 hours.  And it works, whether I'm having 10g
CHO or 100.

>Last Xmas, the BDA's mag had a list of common alcoholic drinks, listing
>calories and alcohol content. No mention of carb content. Hello? Is
>diabetes no longer about matching glucose and insulin?

I have never felt that the BDA has any great value for diabetics, apart
from being a fund-raising source, and offering support to the newly
Pat Reynolds
   (T. Pratchett)