Re: [IPk] time zones

>I'm wondering what happens with my basal rates when I go abroad to
>different time zones. In particular, the dawn syndrome, which I now
>appear to suffer from.

Will your body adopt the new time for a dawn effect? Yes. When? Who knows.
May take a week or two. Test and see. Let us know! You may be back home
before your body has settle in to a new 24 hour hormone cycle. Or it may
settle in straight away. I guess that's another way of describing jet-lag.
Ah, the joys of tight control. In the good old days, long-haul flights
consisted of stopping yourself going DKA - not maintaining good bg's :-)

Between Britain and Germany, which I do a lot, I generally change all my
clocks while waiting to collect my luggage on arrival. That means watch,
alarmclock, laptop (which has to be booted up), Psion, pump and bg meter.
Quite a handful! It's easy to forget something. Don't forget the bg meter.
I often overlook that. You don't notice until you download the readings 2
weeks later, and it looks like you've been getting up at strange hours...

Obviously you take all your insulin, bg strips, and plenty of spares in
your hand luggage, since the hold can freeze. I've heard a lot of stuff
about not putting your infusion sets in the hold, in case the low pressure
causes the packaging to burst, and cease to be sterile. Can anyone confirm

>Also, I can't remember what the consensus was about whether airport
>Xray machines are potentially hazardous (to the pump, i mean).

No hazard I believe. It's just those MRI hospital scans that blow the
circuits. My experience is that Heathrow has ultra-sensitive equipment that
usually spots the plump. They'll strip search you and give you an internal
examination with enema, so wear clean underwear... No, only joking. They'll
pat your pockets. What's that? It's an insulin pump. End of search. They
probably see a dozen pumps a day at Heathrow, with all those funny foreign
types that pass through.

Let's see... some guesses:
40 million a year pass through Heathrow.
A quarter are from "rest of Europe" and North America.
3 in a 1000 have type 1 diabetes
1 in 10 has a pump.
So 40000000/4/365*3/1000/10 = 8.2 pumps per day.
Not far off.

mailto:email @ redacted