Re: [IPk] Carb Book

>Hi Paul
>We use a book called the Calorie Counter by Collins Gem - costs 3.99 and
>all carb values are given per 100g.

Let us know if it's any good, Paul.

I am also still looking for decent ways to carb count accurately. With
prepackaged food it's dead easy - they tell you the content (usually). But
frankly I eat very rarely out of a box. And I'm lazy. I live in the real
world. Plates of food in restaurants and canteens. Yesterday's pasta
reheated. Second helpings of my wife's apple pie. When I accurately carb
count, I can keep my bg pretty steady. But carb counting the whole time is
like standing on a slippery log - I can't stay there! The moment I start to
get a life, I start throwing insulin at myself rounded to the nearest unit.
And that means bg's rounded to the nearest 2.5 (45). That's the difference
between normal and hypo for me.

So what to do? Any advice on fine control in the real world is gratefully

Interestingly (and frustratingly) the BDA do not advocate carb counting any
more. It's been scrubbed off the board. "The old-fashioned way". The
motivation for this curious stance seems to be that in the real dirty old
world people don't carb count even if you tell them to. So doctors tell you
to eat regular, and eat healthy, and everyone pats themselves on the back
and goes home happy and fulfilled, until the complications start.

Last Xmas, the BDA's mag had a list of common alcoholic drinks, listing
calories and alcohol content. No mention of carb content. Hello? Is
diabetes no longer about matching glucose and insulin?

mailto:email @ redacted