[Previous Months][Date Index][Thread Index][Join - Register][Login]
[Message Prev][Message Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next]

Re: [IPk] Moira Harrison

John Davis wrote:

> Hi Moira
> I have only just read your posting of 31 July, I have been away for the
> weekend.
> Sorry that the pump has not been an instant success, you are one of the
> unlucky ones but bear with it and suddenly, "bingo" you will wonder why you
> ever doubted it.
> Like you, the Tenders scare the S*** out of me. I started on them because of
> the flexibility of dis-connection but I changed to the Rapids with the 8mm
> needle, I find them much easier to insert. Also I think you will find that a
> detachable Rapid is on the way.
> At first the pump seems obtrusive, but like all things, once you get used to
> it you don't realise it's there. At night I just throw it under the pillow,
> OK it finds itself in some strange places! but it has never stopped, or come
> out even though it fell over the end of the bed once.
> As you say, Sandra is terrific, as are the other DSN's, you will find that
> with constant use the changing of Infusion Sets, Cartridges etc will become
> second nature to you.
> Once your basal rate has been programmed correctly you will very rarely have
> to change it. As you say, it is "early days yet" and we all on this list
> KNOW that things will improve, just hang in there and remember we are here.
> We've been there, done that and we've got the T-shirt.
> Thinking of you,
> John Davis.
> Dear John,

Thanks for the thoughts.  I am still struggling to sort out my basal as I am
high in the mornings and go very low in the afternoon. It is slow as each time I
make a change I have to basically wait 24h to see if it worked. I am getting
more comfortable with the pump though.  I had some problem with my Medisense
glucose meter as it was giving me incredibly variable results. I tested three
times in a row and got readings of 16,12 and 9.7 ! When I rang to complain I got
a load of earache and was told that 99 percent of the time it is the person
using it and not the meter that is at fault. Gee, thanks. I have now binned the
Medisense and bought a Glucotrend which are allegedly more reliable.  I am happy
with my Rapids and will stick to them I think. I also got some with 60cm tubing
as I am very small, 4 foot eleven inches, and I could wrap the 80cm around me
several times and was constantly getting tangled up. The sixty seems quite long
but at least I can't use it as a skipping rope !

To enter the fray on the subject of leaving infusion sets in that hurt, I
decided to try the wait and see approach when I changed my Rapid and it hurt
quite a lot going in. However I had to change it today because it has just been
nigglingly painful. I should have whipped it straight out the other day but I
just could not be asked to get out another infusion set and start all over
again. Would it have been so bad to have pulled the needle out of the painful
spot and stuck it in somewhere less painful ? I did have a freshly laundered
belly so surely it wouldn't have been too risky.

Thanks for all the feedback.  By the way, I named my pump Luigi as I thought it
might help me to grow to love it ! Anybody else that strange ?
Take care

> ----------------------------------------------------------
> Insulin Pumpers website http://www.insulin-pumpers.org/
> for mail subscription assistance, contact: HELP@insulin-pumpers.org

Insulin Pumpers website http://www.insulin-pumpers.org/
for mail subscription assistance, contact: HELP@insulin-pumpers.org