Re: [IPk] Cardiac autonomic disease

Hi Christine

http://www.jdrf.org.uk/research/getting-involved-in-research/current-trials

Developing corneal confocal microscopy for human diabetic

neuropathy<http://www.jdrf.org.uk/research/getting-involved-in-research/current-trials/developing-corneal-confocal-microscopy-for-human-diabetic-neuropathy>
What is the project trying to achieve?

This project is trying to develop a new automated and non-invasive eye test
to assess for nerve damage in diabetic patients. At the moment this is
assessed using relatively crude tests which miss early nerve damage and the
more sensitive tests need to remove skin in the form of a biopsy to assess
under a microscope. We are studying patients with Type 1 diabetes with
short duration of diabetes (<10 yrs) but also patients with diabetes for
over 50 years to try and assess which factors might protect these patients
from developing major complications of diabetes as well as patients with
impaired glucose tolerance who are yet to develop diabetes.
What are volunteers required to do?

We will undertake detailed testing of the nerves using the standard tests
of neurophysiology, but in addition we will use our ophthalmic instrument
called the corneal confocal microscope to try and see if the corneal test
is as good if not better than the standard tests. The groups of patients we
are studying include patients with Type 1 diabetes and in particular
patients with diabetes for more than 50 years of diabetes. These patients
will also have an assessment of proteins and metabolites in their blood and
will undergo genetic assessment.
For further details please contact:

Professor R A Malik email @ redacted Tel. 0161 275 1196