[Previous Months][Date Index][Thread Index][Join - Register][Login]   Help@Insulin-Pumpers.org
  [Message Prev][Message Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next]   for subscribe/unsubscribe assistance
 
 

Re: [IPk] Exam Stress/ management



Hi Zoe
Of course, everyone is different, and some people take a lot longer to 
adjust to being diagnosed - both physically and mentally - than others. 
I'm not surprised that it took you a little longer to complete your PhD 
- plenty of people without any health problems or other valid excuses 
don't even finish in 3 years anyway! I'm quite sure no one would have 
held it against me if I hadn't finished in 3 years either given my 
health at the time, but for me I needed to know that it wasn't going to 
stop me, and because I didn't know what potential employers might think 
of employing someone both partially sighted and diabetic.  That's just 
how it was for *me*. I'm not saying that everyone can still pass exams 
just as easily whether diabetic or not - obviously there may be issues 
which will hinder one's educational development. Diagnosis of diabetes 
right within a crucial time such as just before exam period always has 
the possibility of being tricky - even if for some people it doesn't 
stop them achieving.
My point was more about long term management of diabetes and to what 
degree this should be taken into account in terms of one's ability to do 
exams or perform in other crucial situations (of which there are plenty, 
both at school and in our daily lives).
I'm glad that no one thought you were using diabetes as an excuse - I've 
met plenty of people who *do* have that attitude, sadly.
Life is always going to be more difficult for us (or almost all of us) 
and I think it's important for us to minimise this effect as much as we 
can. For everyone, the amount they can do this and lead a "normal" life 
is different. There are plenty of people in this world, however, who do 
not share this point of view.
Di


On 30/04/2011 15:31, Zoe Formby wrote:
> Karen, I also agree with many of the points you raise here.  Your argument
> is balanced and lucid.
>
>
>
> Clearly, everyone is entitled to their own opinion, and it's the expression
> and discussion of differing beliefs that make forums such as these so
> invaluable.  However, I found some of the sentiments from previous emails to
> be rather irksome.  I don't think anyone on here is suggesting that it's
> either justified or morally acceptable to exploit the fact that they have
> diabetes to somehow gain an advantage in any given situation, but it is a
> condition that for many - myself included - has a huge impact upon their
> day-to-day existence.  I was diagnosed with type 1 a few months prior to
> beginning my PhD, and despite my best efforts (and my exploiting all the
> resources given to my by my DSN), I struggled greatly with control,
> suffering from erratic blood sugars and many of the implications that result
> from it.  Even though my consultant, DSN, GP and PhD supervisors could see
> the impact my poor health was having upon my ability to study, I was
> reluctant to accept an extension, precisely because I feared that people
> would express the narrow-minded and archaic view that I'd used  'my health
> issues [as] an excuse for not doing well'.  (Interestingly, I'd never
> actually heard this opinion voiced until reading the emails in this
> thread...).
>
>
> So, congratulations Di, on completing your thesis within three years; I know
> what a huge accomplishment this is.  However, do I feel that I've achieved
> less because I took *marginally* longer to complete my PhD?  Do my work
> colleagues think any less of me, or my work, because I (eventually) accepted
> the short extension I was offered? Does the fact I needed an extension not
> just highlight the fact that I wasn't actually intellectually capable of
> achieving the task, or rather that I wasn't 'cut out for it in the first
> place'?  Absolutely not!
.
----------------------------------------------------------
for HELP or to subscribe/unsubscribe/change list versions,
contact: HELP@insulin-pumpers.org