Re: [IPk] Exam Stress/ management

Karen, I also agree with many of the points you raise here.  Your argument
is balanced and lucid.

Clearly, everyone is entitled to their own opinion, and it's the expression
and discussion of differing beliefs that make forums such as these so
invaluable.  However, I found some of the sentiments from previous emails to
be rather irksome.  I don't think anyone on here is suggesting that it's
either justified or morally acceptable to exploit the fact that they have
diabetes to somehow gain an advantage in any given situation, but it is a
condition that for many - myself included - has a huge impact upon their
day-to-day existence.  I was diagnosed with type 1 a few months prior to
beginning my PhD, and despite my best efforts (and my exploiting all the
resources given to my by my DSN), I struggled greatly with control,
suffering from erratic blood sugars and many of the implications that result
from it.  Even though my consultant, DSN, GP and PhD supervisors could see
the impact my poor health was having upon my ability to study, I was
reluctant to accept an extension, precisely because I feared that people
would express the narrow-minded and archaic view that I'd used  'my health
issues [as] an excuse for not doing well'.  (Interestingly, I'd never
actually heard this opinion voiced until reading the emails in this
thread...).

So, congratulations Di, on completing your thesis within three years; I know
what a huge accomplishment this is.  However, do I feel that I've achieved
less because I took *marginally* longer to complete my PhD?  Do my work
colleagues think any less of me, or my work, because I (eventually) accepted
the short extension I was offered? Does the fact I needed an extension not
just highlight the fact that I wasn't actually intellectually capable of
achieving the task, or rather that I wasn't 'cut out for it in the first
place'?  Absolutely not!