Re: [IPk] Exam Stress/ management

Hi Karen
You have to remember what this list is about - it's a place where we can
discuss issues relating to diabetes and pumps. Just as in ordinary
conversation, one subject leads to another, so gradually the topic of
life insurance evolved as another discussion. I don't understand what
you mean about pensions - I pay exactly the same amount into my pension
as a non-diabetic, I don't see how I benefit from being a diabetic in
this respect? Maybe I'm missing something.

On the subject of exams, there are several separate issues. One is
having a major hypo or high during the exam - and there is no reason why
this should not be taken into consideration if it affects the ability to
perform well. Of course if you have a major hypo, you should either be
allowed extra time or to resit the exam - that's the same as any illness
that happens during an exam. Otherwise, I'm sorry but personally I don't
see the need for extra time - it takes less than 30 seconds to test your
blood sugar from start to finish. It takes about 10 seconds to eat some
glucose tablets or drink some Lucozade. 5 seconds to adjust your pump.
Even if you needed to do that several times in a 3 hour exam, that's
less than a minute out of the whole 3 hours. And if other students are
going to be disturbed by you having a drink or eating a glucose tablet,
then they really have an issue - it's no more distracting than someone
sneezing. You can turn your pump to silent if the beeping is going to be
distracting. it's very different from requiring extra time for being
dyslexic. but the main point for me is it's parter of a wider issue
about diabetes in society - and it's clear that people either understand
this or just don't get it.

Sorry but I just don't buy that a diabetic's life will be ruined forever
because they had a minor hypo or slightly raised BG during an exam. Or
because they weren't allowed to have extra time to test their BG. We
have to cope with such things in everyday life as diabetics. If such an
incident is going to prevent an 18 year old becoming a doctor, then I
don't think they're cut out for it in the first place. In the worst case
where you have major problems during exams, there's nothing to stop you
resitting an exam. I - and plenty of others on here - have been through
all this. I wish I'd had a pump when I was doing exams - I was still on
one injection a day throughout the whole of school and MDI throughout
university, my control was awful. I was registered blind halfway through
doing my PhD, but I still finished it in 3 years. My point is not that
I'm amazing - there are lots of people who have similar experiences to
me - the point is that I just got on with it and didn't allow my health
issues to be an excuse for not doing well.

I know you're not going to feel differently about this, and this isn't
my aim to change your mind. My aim was simply to open up a discussion
about such issues.

Di
PS It would be helpful if you could distinguish between a message you're
replying to and your own message, when you write an email. Otherwise
it's very difficult to read your post!