[IPk] Vehicle insurance

Hi,
 I have recently found out that, from May, diabetics treated with insulin are
not
 longer going to be able to drive vehicles in St John Ambulance as the insurance
company apparently won't insure diabetics. Is this allowed? I didn't think
insurance companies were allowed to discrimate against diabetes for driving?
 There obviously may be more to it than I know about but considering I'm allowed
 to drive NHS ambulances being diabetic stopping me with SJA vehicles it isn't a
ruling I understand.
Does anyone have any experience/advice on this? I'd really like to be able to
drive the ambulances if possible and it seems unfair that I won't be able to
especially given that so far I've had no problems with diabetes whilst driving
or while working on an ambulance.
Cheers
Sammy