Re: [IPk] exam stress

Hi Sandra
Two things:
(1) If it only happened once, it might not have been stress at all, just
something unrelated, e.g. air in your tubing, or a random unexplained high.
(2) on the other hand, you may find that your BG shoots up even when you
don't feel stressed. I get this in softball matches often - even when I
don't feel at all stressed in a game, my BG can shoot up when in
practice (ie not in a match) it tends to drop like a stone with exactly
the same amount of exercise! I think this is more positive adrenalin
than stress, as stressful events in general don't actually affect my BG.
So even if you feel calm, knowing deep down that the exam is important
may be sending the adrenalin soaring....

I have to say I've never done anything special for exams, through
school, university and beyond. I've just tested immediately before the
exam and made sure (as always) that I have a pack of glucose tabs in my
pocket and my meter handy. That's all you need really (though as someone
says, you may want to warn the invigilator in case they frown upon you
stabbing yourself or eating sweets mid-exam. I can't see why you would
need extra time though, unless you're actually hypo - it only takes
about 10 seconds to do a blood test. Glad they are supportive though!

Di