Re: [IPk] FW: here is Allyson Pollock's article

Hi Christine

If I'd realised the paper in question was the BMJ article from earlier
this year I could have scanned it in and sent it to you when it first
appeared - my office subscribes to the BMJ and I have at least a flip
through it each week.

It is important to take at least some of what's printed in the BMJ
with a grain of salt. The BMA is not an unbiased organisation without
its own agenda - what organisation of like-minded people is truly
unbiased? This article provides an interesting summary of the BMA's
stance in the early years of the NHS:
http://www.oup.com/oxforddnb/info/freeodnb/magazine/health/

However, the BMA's version of events is a bit different and leaves out
quite a bit:
http://www.bma.org.uk/healthcare_policy/nhs_system_reform/NHSBMAsupport.jsp

Today, the BMA presents itself as the guardian of the NHS, and no one
really likes a change to the status quo as it's evolved. However, the
market for private care remains small in comparison to the market at
the NHS caters for. If the doctors don't like the changes, their
ability to "opt out" of the changes may be limited, despite their
status as private contractors. So, much like the controversy of the
1940s, opposition on paper may turn into compliance in practice.

Melissa