Re: Replacement pump WAS Re: [IPk] vibe

Dave

The difference with a pacemaker or dialysis machine is the patient
doesn't interact with it, but 100% of the experience of using a pump
involves the patient interacting with the technology. Pumps are more
like bg meters in that respect.

Or would you say that people shouldn't have a choice in bg meters or
finger prickers or insulin pens either? [With bg meters, of course the
patient currently can choose to purchase whatever make he or she wants
but the NHS picks up the tab for the strips for insulin users.]

Regarding your TV analogy, why should a system that we pay into with
our taxes offer us less choice when the pumps are all pretty much the
same price to the NHS? Healthcare in the UK has never been "free" - we
all pay something for it. Some of us need more care than others but
that's the case with private health insurance too. BUPA and Axa would
be flat-broke if every subscriber required cancer treatment!

Melissa
Type 1 18+ years, Mini-Med pumper 7.5 years; Animas pumper 6.5 years