Re: Replacement pump WAS Re: [IPk] vibe

On 20/04/11 17:36, Siobhan Murphy wrote:
> It might be that Derriford have bought into a contract with one of the other
> pump companies - I've heard of this happening a lot. Regardless of PCT, some
> hospitals will only purchase one type of pump - Bournemouth being one - they
> have a deal with Roche so only supply patients with Roche pumps.

But it's not Derriford who are funding the pump. So they don't buy it,
Cornwall would. So it doesn't matter what contracts they have in place
at Derriford.
The Cornwall PCT doesn't send Derriford a cheque for them to go and buy
your pump....at least I'd be very surprised if they did! As long as they
fund it, you can ring up Animas yourself and order it. I did that with
my new Medtronic pump (I actually got the pump before the PCT had even
agreed the funding for the replacement, because my old pump was faulty
and I told Medtronic that my PCT were going to fund the new one, and so
they sent it to me in advance of getting the funding). The hospital
never even saw my new pump, let alone dealt with Medtronic.
Di