Re: [IPk] Advice please

Hi Mary,

We may not be doing it by the book but the only way we have found to avoid
post meal spikes is a combination of pre-bolus of usually 30 minutes and
increased basal effect for the 2 hours after eating (i.e. the hour before
and hour after in reality) followed by a low basal later when a sharp drop
would otherwise occur, i think this is sometimes referred to as a super
bolus. After breakfast she would probably still rise 4 -5 mmol even doing
this. Whilst it would be inconvenient If a meal were missed or delayed, in
fact this occurs quite rarely for Isabella and if it does we use a temp
basal. We can't really do a fasting test very easily for a 4 year old, and
we too find that her basal needs are different when she has or hasn't eaten,
so we set the pattern according to what usually happens and adjust it if it
doesn't. I guess this would be more difficult if we had less of a routine.

Marisa