RE: [IPk] To Laura Winter

Hi Laura

I do sympathise with your situation, but can also see it from your
employer's point of view. I know that nowadays employers cannot afford to
have any "spare" staff and every employee must be seen to pull their weight
during work hours.

This is what I do. I always have my testing kit with me, plus a small bag of
jelly babies. Although we are not supposed to eat in front of the patients
(I am a receptionist at a doctors' surgery), I have been known to say "I'm
sorry, but I am diabetic, my sugars are low, and I need to eat this now" to
a patient - 2 bites later and I can carry on. I have been answering phone
calls while drinking lucozade, with a bg of 1.7. Not ideal, but sometimes it
just has to be done.

If there are spare staff to cover that is fine, but if not, then you have to
do what you have to do, although the people paying your wages will expect
you to work as well.

Also always wear your pump upside down so that any bubbles will not go
through the tube, then they will still be there for you to deal with in your
own time - there is no need to panic about priming them out immediately - do
it at your next break, or when you get home.

Hopefully if you can just follow these 2 suggestions, both you and your boss
will be safe and happy. You may not find a better new job.

Good luck

Carol.