Don't panic please! Re: [IPk] bma report

Hi

Please don't panic! The news is JUST about type 2s, not about type 1s.

The average cost figure takes into account that MANY type 2s, who
constitute about 95% of all people with diabetes, are prescribed
glucose test strips at least once a year, whether or not they actually
use them or not. One company in diabetes care estimated a few years
ago that type 1s use 80% of all glucose test strips sold, even though
we are only 20% of the total "meter-owning" population.

If any type 1s hear from a GP that they are not to use so many test
strips on account of the report, please take a copy of the actual
report to your GP and point out that it says type 2s not type 1s. Here
is a link to the full paper, called "Efficacy of self monitoring of
blood glucose in patients with newly diagnosed type 2 diabetes (ESMON
study): randomised controlled trial":
http://www.bmj.com/cgi/content/full/bmj.39534.571644.BEv1?rss=1

Very few type 2s not using insulin are ever admitted to hospital with
a hypo or DKA; the report is SPECIFICALLY on the population of type 2s
who use diet/exercise or oral medications (not insulin) to manage
their diabetes.

Here is a snippet from the BBC story: "A trial of 180 people newly
diagnosed with type 2 diabetes in Northern Ireland found
self-monitoring did not improve blood glucose control compared with
normal care."
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/7352321.stm

NEWLY DIAGNOSED TYPE 2 IS NOT THE SAME AS TYPE 1!!!

Melissa
Type 1 15 years; MiniMed pumper 7.5 years; Animas pumper 4.5 years