RE: [IPk] New NCE guidleines

Hi Karen

It should become easier for children under the age of twelve to obtain pumps.
 Babies and children with low insulin needs should be able to access pump
therapy
 much more easily because they wont have to try lots of different regimens
before
getting a pump as a "last resort".  If a consultant/parents think that an 18
month old child should start on a pump trial soon after diagnosis this should
happen.

No, the Final Appraisal Determination says:

"CSII therapy is recommended as a treatment option for children younger than 12
years with type 1 diabetes mellitus provided that:

MDI therapy is considered to be impractical or inappropriate, and

(Children on insulin pumps would be expected to undergo a trial of MDI therapy
between the ages of 12 and 18 years.")

This last bit was added without discussion!

http://www.nice.org.uk/nicemedia/pdf/FinalAppraisalDeterminationIP.pdf

Jackie

>  "John Davis" <email @ redacted> wrote..
>

> Para 1 of the new guidance states:
>
> "Continuous subcutaneous insulin infusion (CSII or 'insulin pump') therapy
> is recommended as a treatment option for adults and children 12 years and
> older with type 1 diabetes mellitus ..
>
> John,
>
> Am I right in interpreting that the new guidelines do *not* recommend pump
> therapy for kids under 12? I do hope not.
>
> Karen Persov
> .

---
Virus Database (VPS): 080414-1, 14/04/2008
Tested on: 14/04/2008 23:23:56