No Subject

Hi Jackie:

When I click on the link I get into the NICE site but I still get a
"Guidance Error" message.

Thanks for wishing me luck. I put together a "Case for Support" which I gave
to the pump nurse who carried out the initial assessment last week. She
feels that I would be suitable for a pump and we are now moving to a full
meeting with the consultant, the pump nurse and the dietician, next week.
My case included details from the past 3 month's meter data (10-12 tests per
day) which I download to my laptop.

I am applying on the basis of "Excessive and Unpredictable Hypoglycaemia".
My last two A1c was 6.3, although the large number of low readings are
probably driving it down.   It has been hard to find out what typical hypo
frequencies are for other T1's, but my meter logs for the past 90 days show
135 episodes of 3.5 or below of which 62 were 2.9 or lower. Despite
assiduous attempts to cut my Lantus to an absolute minimum, I have frequent,
rapid (sometimes > 3 mmol per hour) drops in BG  at times when I have no
bolus insulin on-board.  These are usually during the day, although recently
more have started to occur  overnight. This is affecting my work (try
lecturing to 300 students with a BG of 2.7)  and means that at risky times
of the day (e.g. late afternoon) I am not safe to drive.  On some days, I
have had 3 separate hypos, and I find this is not only stressful  but is
starting to affect my mood.

At our meeting the pump nurse suggested that I was testing too frequently
and wanted me to cut back to ~ 6 per day to avoid "obsessive testing".
However, since my hypo awareness is now pretty poor (I can go as low as the
mid to low 2's without any warnings) I actually feel more anxious if I do
this, since I have no warning that my BG may be dropping.

Any help with my "Case for Support" would be greatly appreciated. I could
send it to you directly as an email attachment.

Thanks

Joel