[IPk] Possible Nerve Damage?

Hi all,

I am just wondering if anyone has or is suffering in the same way as
me, possibly due to having had diabetes for a long time (I have had
type 1 for 38 years now).  I have been suffering with feelings of
being off-balance, confusion and lack of concentration on and off now
for about 18 months (sometimes badly for a few days or weeks, and
sometimes not too bad).  These feelings occur whatever level my BG is
at (low, normal or high).  Initially I had various tests done by my
GP (e.g. ENT check, thyroid problems, iron deficiency, blood
pressure), I also stopped all unnecessary medication (obviously not
insulin!).  All tests came back as being fine, I then had an MRI scan
on my brain (and yes, they did find one in there), but again no signs
of anything unusual.

My DSN has suggested it may be due to the diabetes, perhaps being due
to having better control since going doing the DAFNE course (known as
DAFYDD here in Wales), and since taking Glucophage for insulin
resistance, and then the pump, these things helping towards better
control.  My diabetic control was never very good prior to the pump
and 38 years of higher blood sugars (typical HBa1c  was around 9
then) might mean that my body is still not used to these lower BG's.
I have been on the pump now for 7 months, and I was hoping that these
symptoms would start to go, but I am going through a bad patch again
currently.  The DSN has said it may take up to a year to feel better,
which may be the case.

It has been suggested that it could be due to nerve damage from
having diabetes for so long, but that normally this does not occur in
the brain until after you have experienced nerve damage elsewhere in
the body (e.g. foot problems - mine are regularly checked and
absolutely fine).
I do however have diabetic eye retinopathy and have had loads of
laser treatment in both eyes.

Anyone out there experienced this, and if so, did it go away and how
long did it take?  Perhaps it's just me though.

Clare
(Type 1 for 38 years, pumping 7 months, Paradigm 522)