RE: [IPk] Using pump as calculator

Hi Melissa and Sammy

I agree that all parents children and patients should be taught carb counting
 and DAFNE type adjusting of insulin. We have many many parents arrive on the UK
CWD parents list without having any idea about how to match the insulin to
carbs.  Then there clinic berate them or the child because the child's levels
are all over the place.

We had to keep quiet about learning to carb count as we were looked on as being
obsessive parents  (6 years ago)  There are a number of PCT and or hospitals
that do have carb counting sessions where both the kids and parents go to.
Usually about 2 , 3 hours sessions.  Either in the evenings or holidays run by
the local diabetes clinic staff.

Jackie

> Hi Sammy
>
> I should have been clearer in my original post: I believe everyone who
> makes decisions about food, insulin doses, and activity levels for
> someone with diabetes should go on DAFNE within 18 months of the
> diabetes diagnosis that touches their life. For children, that would
> usually be a parent; for teenagers and adults it would usually be the
> individual who has diabetes personally
>
> Most 6 to 12 year-olds I have come across are not making all those
> decisions for themselves every day. I agree it would be a waste to
> teach DAFNE to kids without educating their parents or guardians. But
> If parents are educated about how best to use insulin (the big point
> of DAFNE - so many people do the wrong things with their insulin
> doses) they can teach their kids the details when it's time for the
> kids to be more independent (for instance, when the kids are about
> 13). Does that make sense?
>
> Melissa
> Type 1 15+ years; MiniMed pumper 7.5 years; Animas pumper 4.5 years
>
> Melissa
> .

---
Virus Database (VPS): 080413-0, 13/04/2008
Tested on: 13/04/2008 11:39:29