Re: [IPk] Using pump as calculator

Sammy wrote:
"also i don't think everyone should have to go on dafne course when theyre
diagnosed, would have been useless to me at 6 and at 16 i would have ignored
most of what was being said (because obviously i knew everything there was to
know about diabetes being a fairly obstinate teenager) however i do think it
would be a good idea for it to be offered to people maybe every year because
although i wouldn't go on one now they sound quite useful and maybe in a few
years i would go by which time i will havwe forgotten they exist!"

Hi Sammy

I should have been clearer in my original post: I believe everyone who
makes decisions about food, insulin doses, and activity levels for
someone with diabetes should go on DAFNE within 18 months of the
diabetes diagnosis that touches their life. For children, that would
usually be a parent; for teenagers and adults it would usually be the
individual who has diabetes personally

Most 6 to 12 year-olds I have come across are not making all those
decisions for themselves every day. I agree it would be a waste to
teach DAFNE to kids without educating their parents or guardians. But
If parents are educated about how best to use insulin (the big point
of DAFNE - so many people do the wrong things with their insulin
doses) they can teach their kids the details when it's time for the
kids to be more independent (for instance, when the kids are about
13). Does that make sense?

Melissa
Type 1 15+ years; MiniMed pumper 7.5 years; Animas pumper 4.5 years

Melissa