[IPk] Using pump as calculator

Don't worry folks - I'm not actually that arrogant - one of my jobs is to
work with learners with dyscalculia and also dyslexia. People with these
conditions find it very hard to keep the data from complex calculations in
their heads, so this makes working out extra hard, even if they can
understand the technique, which is quite often too difficult. I find that
most parents find it hard to understand the new methods of working at school
- and there is quite a lot of inconsistency across the country which doesn't
help. I have just been working with a group of learners who are training to
be teaching assistants, and math was one of the big concerns. I was lucky
enough to be at school when there was a big emphasis on mental arithmetic,
however, more complex math was totally beyond me.

I agree too that it is hard to calculate boluses when you are low - however,
if you are too low the MM tells you to wait until your BG goes up a bit
before bolusing. I have made mistakes myself when low.

Sorry - will try not to jump in with both feet again!

Mary Moody