Re: [IPk] Using pump as calculator

Interestingly, in primary schools now the latest big drive is getting
 children to use mental arithmetic as a real priority (I'm doing a primary PGCE
at
the mo), and written calculation methods are taught in stages, allowing the
 children (hopefully) to understand what they're doing before they use the more
compact methods. I've found it a nightmare, as I was taught  totally
differently!

Rosemary