Re: [IPk] Using pump as calculator

Hi Paula

A few years ago Roche developed a system similar to what you describe.
It was a Palm Zire PDA with an IR port that could take information
from any IR equipped Accu-Chek meter. They launched it in the summer
of 2005. However it was not a full commerical launch and it hasn't
made any waves in the market. the product doesn't appear on their US
website now so they may have stopped the program - I'll have more
information on the status in early June.

IMHO the fatal flaw of the system introduced in 2005 was that Roche
wanted it to be administered by healthcare professionals only, such
that the carb:insulin ratios and correction factors could only be
changed by a healthcare professional who entered a secret PIN into the
device. Doctors and nurses just don't have that kind of time to make
minor adjustments personally!! Pumps are set up so that we can edit
the carb:insulin ratios and the correction factor whenever we like,
which makes a lot of sense to me.

I queried Roche on why they were going to "lock out" patients from
editing settings on their PDA product. Their response was that many
people on MDI don't have the training and education to adjust the
ratios themselves. Probably true, but you can never really solve an
education problem with technology alone.

I wish everyone who takes insulin HAD to go on a DAFNE course within
18 months of starting insulin therapy. It would make such a
difference. The fact that so many people don't receive the education
necessary to get value out of a "bolus wizard" until they are about to
go on a pump may well explain why there's been relatively little
investment in technology to support optimal carb-counting/bg
correcting by MDI users.

Melissa
Type 1 15 years; MiniMed pumper 7.5 years; Animas pumper 4.5 years