Re: [IPk] temporary basal rate and walking

I'd always thought that the reason for Isabella's regularly changing basal
needs was to do with growth hormones, but maybe it's still her pancreas
producing insulin in fits and starts, is this possible? How long might this
go on for as it is really quite difficult dealing with changing insulin
needs every few weeks, sometimes from week to week. We find that we just get
her on a really stable profile and then hey presto we start to see climbing
or falling sugars at a particular time of day and it's all change again. Do
others with small children experience this? It was the same when she was
MDI, and the first point of the day to change is always the time between 7pm
and midnight for some reason.

Also, quite a few mentions on recent emails of the liver chucking out
glucose if there is too little insulin. I think we have experienced this a
number of times after she's been stable on 0.05 basal for several hours
suddenly her sugars will climb dramatically. Why does this happen? Is the
only way to prevent it to have a snack and a bolus every couple of hours on
a low basal? This would seem to defeat the idea of having a 'starvation'
basal rate.

Thanks,
Marisa