Re: [IPk] temporary basal rate and walking

I've no idea when insulin is likely to be produced if it's still
being made. I think my son still has some insulin production judging
by his dose compared to body weight and relatively easy to control
BGs (though I think this may be tailing off now). As far as we can
tell is seems to be released at a fairly consistent but low level, so
he needs plenty of insulin with food but seems to need less basal
insulin. But it is probably an individual thing. I've heard others
who say that the insulin is produced sporadically, in fits and spurts
and they found BGs easier to control when production stopped, so the
opposite of our experience.

It's possible that you would still have insulin on board from a lunch
time bolus or the basal insulin before you need the low afternoon
basal rate. The level of humalog (Novorapid is similar but lasts
slightly longer I think) is quite high for 2 hours and then tails off
during the third hour. This graph shows the level of Humalog in the
blood over time, http://cgibin.rcn.com/johncm/images/HvsR.jpg. If you
kept the low basal rate for 3-4 hours you might then see the glycagon
caused increase mentioned before.

I thought Emily needed very low basal rates in the afternoon, but
after various problems we decided to start from scratch again and re-
set basal rates to the recommended levels in the pump manual and
adjusted from there. The basal rate total was quite a bit higher so
we reduced bolus rates at the same time to balance this. We ended up
with a similar basal pattern through most of the day though with
fewer changes in basal rate and less of a difference between the
highest and lowest rates. The daily basal total increased from 9
units to 17.5 units. The afternoon basal rates are still the lowest
during the day but are higher than they were (used to be 0.1 and 0.2
but are now 0.6) and we are not getting afternoon hypos. Either her
insulin needs have changed or we were always giving too much bolus
insulin at lunch time which resulted in an artificially low afternoon
basal rate.

Best wishes,
Jos