Re: [IPk] Adjusting Basal rates

Hi Nigel,

Which edition of Pumping Insulin says 4-8 hours? If it's the most
recent one (4th ed) I'd be surprised, but I can have a chat to John
Walsh about it and get back to you if that's the case. I would
personally change a basal rate 1 hour ahead of the time I want the
change to affect my bgs. I have always used Humalog in my pump.

On a general basis, the "rules" for dose timing of Humalog and
NovoRapid are the same as both are classed as rapid-acting insulin
analogues.

The very precise way of figuring out when to change basal rates is
trial-and-error I'm afraid! At one time of day - say during dawn
phenomenon - Poppy's bg may rise so fast that it's necessary to have a
high basal rate kick in quite a bit ahead of time to prevent the liver
releasing excess glucose. Meanwhile, she might need to reduce her
basal by 20 or 30% (temp basal) just 30 minutes before a school gym
class later in the same day. It all depends on her body and the
circumstances it's in.

Melissa
Type 1 15 years; MiniMed pumper 7.5 years; Animas pumper 4.5 years