Re: [IPk] temporary basal rate and walking

Hi Sammy
I do a lot of walking and have been on a couple of walking and cycling
holidays (both a week long).
Personally I cope with the actual walking by mainly underbolusing for my
  food and leaving the basals the same (unless I'm running low in which
case I'll turn the pump off for half an hour or so). I find it much
easier to keep my BGs level that way. So for example I might bolus half
the amount I'd normally bolus for breakfast and lunch, for the amount of
carbs I'll eat. And have snacks during the day as necessary (with or
without bolusing for them depending on my BG). of course keeping plenty
of glucose tabs etc to hand while walking.
In the evenings this is when my BG really drops. I usually need to
reduce the bolus for my evening meal (often by as much as 1/2) and then
turn my overnight basal down by about 1/3 also.
I agree that it is rubbish trying to walk all day with a high BG - in a
way a low is easier to deal with as the BG tends to come up pretty quick
after a good slurp of Lucozade. You might have to stop for 10 mins or so
till it comes back up but that's easier to deal with than feeling
rubbish for hours!

If course everyone is different, but personally I think dropping your
basal to 30% while walking is probably too much of a drop. I'd go with
50% reduction at the most, perhaps even less, and use carbs rather than
lowering your basal too much. Of course you can play it by ear as you go.

Do watch out also for a sudden skyrocketing of BG when you stop walking
(that happens to me sometimes but it also comes crashing down later if I
treat it too agressively). Just test a lot and make your adjustments
with great caution!

Good luck and have fun!

Di