[IPk] Adjusting Basal rates

When adjusting basal rate settings on the pump, we have always made
adjustments two hours back  - e.g. say blood glucose rises between 10:00 and
11:00 am, we would increase the basal rate between 8 and 9 am.

I was reading 'Pumping Insulin' and the book suggests making adjustments 4 to
8 hours back.  Poppy's Pediatric Diabetes Nurse once told me that this was
based on slower acting insulins.

It all seems so vague to me.  Does anyone know if there is a more precise way
of working out how far to go back in time to adjust basal insulin levels to
get the desired effect.  Poppy's pump delivers novorapid insulin.

Thanks

Nigel, Dad of Poppy (age 9).  Poppy has a Medtronic 522 pump with continuous
monitor.  Lives in Milton Keynes but goes to UCLH to get proper diabetes
support.  Poppy was diagnosed in 2001.  Wife: Dawn.  Son; Jake (Aged 12)